Educational tours available of the Daphne Utilities Water Reclamation Facility and Water Quality Plants
FREE TOURS AVAILABLE of the Daphne Utilities Water Reclamation Facility where all of the wastewater in Daphne is treated and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner. Students and teachers will get to see, learn, and really experience what happens to your wastewater. It's Interesting, Educational, and most of all...FUN!
- View "bugs" through a microscope - these are the beneficial bacteria used to treat the wastewater.
- How are is a tank that holds more than 1 million gallons of water? We have 5 of them on site!
- View jet engines spinning at 20,000 rpms to create the oxygen needed for the treatment process.
- The largest microwave over in the state of Alabama is used to dry the sludge into a biosolid fertilizer product.
- UV disinfection - the biggest tanning bed you've ever seen - to disinfect the treated water before release into Mobile Bay
FOR MORE INFORMATION
The tour takes approximately 1-1/2 hours. Your students will enjoy and learn more it they already know a little about what they will be seeing. Please ensure your students are familiar with basic water concepts such as the water cycle, water quality, recycling, pollution, conservation and others.